Debate whoppers

From: Jay_Thomas@putnaminv.com
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 12:38:00 PDT

Gore, once again, proves that he can't make a point without
exagerating/lying. Forget, for a moment, poor Winifred Skinner, whom he
mentioned in speeches in the last two days, and several times last night.
Poor Winifred, who "must" pick cans by the side of the road to pay for her
prescription medicines (what's a poor sick woman doing on the side of the
road lugging cans?). And how'd she get the money for the Winnebego to drive
to Boston? Oh right, turns out her son is rich, but she wont accept his
charity, and refused welfare or food stamps. But Al will use her to show
the plight of "poor" seniors who can't afford medicine.

Now, last night we hear about poor little Kailey in Florida (hey, doesn't
W.'s brother run that cesspool?) who can't find a seat and has to stand in
her classes, but never fear, Government Al to the rescue with more tax
money!! Yet another lie from the totem pole who would be president...

http://www.nationalreview.com/gorelies/gorelies.shtml

The Girl Without a Seat
The truth about Kailey Ellis.

 By NR Staff

 New Lie! THE GIRL WITHOUT A SEAT
 October 3, 2000; First presidential debate, Boston, Mass.
 CLAIM: "I'd like to tell you a quick story. I got a letter today, as I
 left Sarasota, Florida. I'm here with a group of 13 people from
 around the country who helped me prepare and we had a great
 time. But two days ago we ate lunch at a restaurant and the guy
 who served us lunch sent ? got me a letter today. His name is
 Randy Ellis, he has a 15-year-old daughter named Kailey, who's in
 Sarasota High School. Her science class was supposed to be for
 24 students. She is the 36th student in that classroom, sent me a
 picture of her in the classroom. They can't squeeze another desk in
 for her, so she has to stand during class."
 October 4, A.M. Tampa Bay, 970AM WFLA
 TRUTH: Dan Kennedy, principal of Sarasota High School: "I think
 the facts that he was provided with were inaccurate because we
 don't really have any students standing in class, and we have more
 than enough desks for all of our students. . . .[What Gore was
 referring to] was probably one of the first days of school when we
 were in a process of leveling classes. [Kailey] did have an
 opportunity to use a lab stool, which was also available in the
 classroom. But we were refurbishing that classroom, and in the
 back of that picture, if you look carefully, you can see probably
 about $100,000 worth of new lab equipment that was waiting to
 be unpacked, which is one of the reasons the room looked as
 crowded as it did. The teacher did not notify us that he needed
 another desk. Had we known, we would have put one in there
 immediately."
 ? by Kathryn Jean Lopez

 New Lie! BUSH'S EXPERIENCE
 October 3, 2000; First presidential debate, Boston, Mass.
 CLAIM: "I have actually not questioned Governor Bush's
 experience."
 TRUTH: In an interview printed by the New York Times on March
 12, Gore said: "You have to wonder whether [Bush] has the
 experience to be president. I mean, you really have to wonder. ...
 You have to wonder: Does Governor Bush have the experience to
 be president? ... Again you have to wonder: Does George Bush
 have the experience to be president?"
 ? by NR Staff

 SLICK GORE
 Washington Post, Sept. 24
 CLAIM: At Sept. 22 press conference, Gore says, "I've been a part
 of the discussions on the strategic reserve since the days when it
 was first established."
 TRUTH: President Ford established the Strategic Petroleum
 Reserves when he signed the Energy Policy and Conservation Act
 (EPCA) on December 22, 1975 ? two years before Al Gore
 became a congressman.
 ? by Kathryn Jean Lopez

 OFF KEY
 USA Today, Sept. 19
 CLAIM: Addressing a Teamsters meeting, Gore spoke of lullabies
 from his youth and sang, "Look for the union label."
 TRUTH: The song was written in 1975, when Gore was 27.
 ? by Kathryn Jean Lopez

 ARTHRITIS PAIN
 Sept. 20, 2000; Associated Press
 CLAIM: The vice president told Florida senior citizens in an Aug.
 28 speech that his mother-in-law pays $108 a month for the same
 arthritis medicine he gives his dog for $37.80 a month.
 TRUTH: The figures he used were taken from a House Democratic
 study and did not reflect his family's own costs. Moreover, the
 study's figures referred to wholesale prices, not prices paid by the
 consumer.
 ? by Kathryn Jean Lopez

 DEBATING BUSH
 July 16, 2000; NBC'S Meet the Press
 CLAIM: "I've accepted for two or three months now your invitation
 to debate on this program," said Gore on NBC's Meet the Press.
 "How are you going to persuade [Bush] to say yes, Tim?"
 Tim Russert: "Well, maybe you're helping today."
 Gore: "Well, do you think so? But what kind of approach ? can
 you get Jack Welch involved?"
 TRUTH: On the Today show on September 4, Gore refused to
 make good on this pledge.
 Matt Lauer: "I do want to remind you that back in July, you had
 already agreed to the Meet the Press debate with Tim Russert."
 Gore: "Sure."
 Lauer: "Why now reject it?"
 Gore: "I still agree to it. But first, let's do the commissioned
 debates."
 ? by John J. Miller

 SOFT MONEY
 March 15, 2000; CNN
 CLAIM: "What I did yesterday was to call on the Democratic
 National Committee?and they'll comply with this?to not spend
 any of the so-called soft money on these issue ads unless and until
 the Republican Party does."
 TRUTH: "The Democratic National Committee announced a $25
 million summer ad campaign, paid for with soft money. The
 Republicans, so far, have not bought ads with soft money for
 Bush." (for full story, click here.)