Re: Introduction of the Music Owners Listening Rights Act of 2000

From: Wilfredo Sanchez (wsanchez@apple.com)
Date: Tue Oct 03 2000 - 14:42:00 PDT

> I remember reading somewhere (maybe I dreamed it) that in Europe, the
> recording industry gets a small share of the revenues generated from the
> sale of cassette tapes.

  I don't know about compact cassettes, but this did happen with DAT
tapes, and it's bull. It's basically a fine for committing a crime you
are expected to commit but haven't yet and may never commit.

> I think the solution (and hopefully the RIAA can
> be bypassed completely) is to somehow get the artists a similar share of
> revenue from MP3 player sales,

  So long as I get my share of the revenue, OK. I'm an artist.

        -Fred

Wilfredo Sánchez, wsanchez@apple.com
Open Source Engineering Lead
Apple Computer, Inc., Core Operating System Group
1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino, CA 94086, 408.974-5174