Re: human cloning

From: cdale@silly.techmonkeys.net
Date: Thu Sep 28 2000 - 09:55:07 PDT

My daughter was telling me that this stuff is scaring her the other nite.
I asked her why and she said, "Well, don't you think it's creepy that
humans, which are stupid for the most part, are trying to play god?" I
said, "But you don't believe in god." She said, "No, but you know what I
mean." So, being the ever-confused parent, I told her, "Don't worry,
we're not really at the top of the food chain -- the virus is, and it will
take care of everything." She said, "Yeh, for real," and that was that.
For now. She's likely to bring it up again next week, but I truly don't
know what to say about it. She also worries about the rights of AI
beings, and has high hopes that Bush will be elected and get us into a war
that will wipe all of us off the planet. -sigh- She's just like her mom.
(: But really, if we are eventually able to clone humans, what will the
clones be like? Will they have emotions and such? Or will they be
toddling hunks of meat? There are going to be ethical concerns that are
going to be much more complicated than those of simple personal freedoms.
I don't pretend to know a thing about cloning, but it is spooky to think
about. "Oh, this one is flawed, throw it in the incinerator." I guess
the bottom line question is: Will they be sentient?

 "A civilized society is one which tolerates eccentricity to the point of doubtful sanity."
          -- Robert Frost