RE: [Fwd: FW: The truth is finally revealed]

From: Meltsner, Kenneth (Kenneth.Meltsner@ca.com)
Date: Thu Sep 21 2000 - 14:06:12 PDT

I think the critical bit is the meaning of the words "created" and
"Internet" -- in context, I believe Gore is referring to his political role
in enabling commercial traffic over the then mostly research NSFNet and the
related networks. He doesn't:

* claim to have invented the protocols or the standards

* been the political enabler of the predecessors to the collective entity
known as the Internet

Those of us who remember host names without dots also remember the general
confusion and fear associated with the prospect of commercial use of the
Arpanet.

Does he exaggerate his role as the lead political proponent of the
"commercial traffic OK" Internet? That's another question, but I think he
has a decent case for that.

Ken Meltsner