Re: Congrats! OS/X in NYTimes

From: Gregory Alan Bolcer (gbolcer@endtech.com)
Date: Sun Sep 17 2000 - 09:53:14 PDT

The only land mine right now is political. Does Mac OSX ship
with the OS9 compatibility stuff or not? In true Jobsian form
"It's not my mistake, it was done before I got here.". My feeling?
It's an awesome platform and I don't need the backwards compatability,
but the scarcity of native OSX tools and apps will be highly
visible for a while.

Oh yeah, and that rumor about MS Office 2001 running on Linux?
That came out of the minor tweaks it would take to port the
MS 2001 MacOS X stuff from BSD to Linux.

Imagine, MacOSX&GUI with the full 2001 Office suite, running
on the chip of choice. I'd be willing to pay retail for that.
My biggest complaint of MacOS all these years is that the
GUI forces the user to be single task focused. With the
BSD terminals, there's now a way around that.

Congratulations to Apple.

Greg