Re: [Jeff Covey @ Freshmeat] We Are Losing the Browser War

From: Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Date: Sun Mar 25 2001 - 04:14:07 PST

Adam Rifkin wrote:

> It's 2001, and people are advocating taking Flash, JavaScript, and/or Java
> out of the Web. Didn't those languages arise because Web developers
> needed them?

Consumers want proprietary incompatible crap? Fine, let them have it.
I'm not a consumer, and there are plenty of open standards and packages
adhering to said standards. Several realities can exist orthogonally to
each other on the same infrastructure.

If I need to make a connection: since Bertelsmann gives away free KoMpaKs,
I'll put that piece of offal somewhere where I can't see it, and access it
via VNC, when I need to read some incompatible proprietary crap, or start
up some FineReader warez to produce some OCRd treekiller warez to inject
into Freenet and MojoNation. (I hope Whoreo is doing the same, do you, Tom?).

Btw, can anybody tell me how much IPv6 is actually deployed out there, and who's
shelling out the IPs? I've tried peddling Consume Net people the geodetic
IPv6 allocation scheme (aa aa aa aa.xx xx xx xx.yy yy yy yy.zz zz zz zz,
where x,y,z are WGS 84 GPS coordinates padded to 32 bits, while aaaaaaaa
is reserved for future use (say, planetary networks) -- because this gives
you 1 cm resolution at Earth surface it should be enough for the next 50
years).

So far I got negligable response. Most people said it would be a waste of
address space, making IPv6 running into same problems as IPv4 (hey little
disagreement here, I always said IPv6 should have gone to 256 bit addresses
at the very least), that this would make cooperation with ISPs difficult
(don't think so, as I doubt many ISPs are using IPv6 to the customer, so you'd
NAT local users and use IPv4 bridges to the ISPs). So these people are missing
the fact that they might turn out the tail that's shaking the dog, instead
of doing it's shaggy master's bidding.

There's essentially zero realization that agoric resource accounting needs
to be implemented, lest we get nths rerun of the olde tragedy of the commons
thing.

So not only is there a lack of consensus, but also lack of realization of
most glaring architecture shortcomings. In short, the prognosis is not good.