Re: Ginger discussed on Today Show?

From: Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Date: Sun Mar 25 2001 - 06:15:38 PST

kragen@pobox.com wrote:

> Your prof was confused; farts and especially burps are a major cause
> of the greenhouse effect, but don't endanger the ozone. And I think

Actually, hydrocarbons in air contribute to the photosmog, thus
creating ozone in lower atmosphere (and thus ruining rubber and paint
in Inland Empire).

> ruminant farts and burps are much more significant than horse farts
> and burps, so it's not really important anyway.

Darn, you're right. Horses are not ruminants.
        http://www.cropsci.ncsu.edu/dsfisher/plant2.html

However, I'm not sure this diminishes their capabilities to
generate methane. And even if, there's always termite farts...