Re: Metcalfe: HTTP/1.1 improves Net performance

Henrik Frystyk Nielsen (frystyk@w3.org)
Tue, 11 Feb 1997 16:48:09 -0500

At 03:56 PM 2/11/97 -0500, Rohit Khare wrote:

>With its persistent connections, HTTP 1.1 will reduce the sending of
packets
>that open and close Internet connections for each of the many items found
on
>Web pages. One estimate sent to me had this improvement alone, when widely
>implemented, more than doubling Web performance. Hurray!"

The gain using HTTP/1.1 in a clever way can go from a factor of 2 to 10
depending on the operation _when_competing_ with HTTP/1.0. The overall
effect on the Internet when widely deployed is non-linear and may be much
higher.

Read the paper now submitted to SIGCOMM 97 at

http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Protocols/HTTP/Performance/Pipeline.html

Comments are welcome!

Henrik

World Wide Web Consortium, MIT/LCS NE43-346