RE: [Jon Udell / Derek Robinson] Distributed HTTP, Beyond Napster

From: Lucas Gonze (lucas@worldos.com)
Date: Mon Oct 02 2000 - 08:29:29 PDT

We keep coming back to this exact same point, but nobody has any solutions to
offer. The closest is the SOAP approach of facilitating semantic analysis.
IMHO that won't work because it comes down to the same problem as now, where a
corporate user has to ask a sysadmin to open a port or install special software.

What about this idea: signed streams. The stream isn't encrypted, it just does
a handshake when it connects to the proxy. If there is a service that does
nothing but sign certificates for code that needs to bust through the firewall,
then to stay viable it depends on only signing for reputable parties. So the
sysadmin says "I'll allow all traffic signed by Joe because I trust Joe to do
hacker detection conscientiously." For sysadmins this might fix the problem of
all the non-browser data passing through 8080.

Seems like such an obvious idea that it must have been suggested elsewhere
already.