RE: XML / XSL vs. [x]HTML / WML / etc. etc.

From: Meltsner, Kenneth (Kenneth.Meltsner@ca.com)
Date: Fri Sep 29 2000 - 07:23:49 PDT

I've had to implement conversion rules for (yet another)structured text for
an application that restructures and scrubs RTF into XML. Turns out that
the application that generates the RTF uses plain text for the descriptive
text, and so users have gotten into the habit of writing "pass-through"
formatting commands as well as "structured text" -- the app ignores them,
and then when the mess is converted into HTML, they magically start working.

So, I've got to cope with a mix of:

* HTML tags, like <b>bold</b> and paragraph styles
* ASCII bullets, like -^Itext

Yuck.

So far, I've figured out XSL/XPath patterns for the simpler stuff. Has
anyone managed to implement a more complete structured text translator in
XSL? Or should I just write a filter that grovels through the XML, looks
for the <string> elements and reformats them into something a little less
mixed-up.

Ken Meltsner