RE: Introduction of the Music Owners Listening Rights Act of 2000

From: Damien Morton (Morton@dennisinter.com)
Date: Wed Sep 27 2000 - 11:22:36 PDT

Ok, so I own a CD. This gives me the right to listen the music on that CD
anytime I choose. That right is mine, and I own it.

So now me and my freinds pool together our rights into a cooperative scheme
in which these rights tokens are shared amongst us on an as-needed basis.

I want to listen to Nick Cave, I go to the co-op, withdraw a listening right
and listen away. When Im done, I put the listening right back. The total
number of Nick Cave listening rights that need to be purchased is the same
as the maximum number of listeners at any given moment. Extend that to a
global level, and the number of CD sales is substantially smaller than would
otherwise be sold.

Some rough numbers: I own 100 CDs and can only listen to one at a time. Lets
say that some CDs are 10 times more popular than others, our little co-op
needs less than 1/10 of the music listening rights that we would need
individually.

The success of this legislatory scheme rests upon supressing the ability of
people to transfer their properties (in this case rights) to each other. It
rests on supressing the ability of people to economically co-operate.

And so we return to the basic problem. The music industry needs to control
the movement of something that has no substance and very little form.

Performing arts are now a service, and no longer a property.

Its a harsh harsh world when you loose your royalties and start gettng paid
by the hour again. Tough.