Re: Introduction of the Music Owners Listening Rights Act of 2000

From: Tom Whore (tomwhore@inetarena.com)
Date: Wed Sep 27 2000 - 10:23:30 PDT

On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Adam L. Beberg wrote:

--]Reading this it sounds narrow... is my portable mp3 player legal, how
--]about taping a CD... doesn't sound like this helps...
--]They need to take the word "internet" completely out of this thing and
--]make listening to music i own legal ANY way i want to listen.
--]

It was my understanding that an older act made personal copies of legal
owned msuic totaly within the rights of the buyer. Thus cassete tapes and
other media copies were legit so long as there was no trading or
tranfering. Thus your rio is a ok, as is a mp3 copy or a cd copy or a
nontech copy that sits near your audio nerves for handy playback direct
tot he raw ins.

The matter here is that mp3.com , and lets face it thats what this is
reacting to in the short run, went and stored a bunch of msuic for me. I
didnt store it there, they did, thius the matter of PERSONAL become
corporate and everyones hackles went up.

Yea this little bit of pont he floor fluffery is 90% image gloss and
positioning. BUT it is 10% a good lead into other things. The whole
copyright system has far outstriped its original purpose. If something is
not done soon then the nevaux tech class of criminal will grow ever
upward.

    [---=== WSMF ----http://wsmf.doesntexist.com===---]