Re: XNS

From: Kragen Sitaker (kragen@pobox.com)
Date: Tue Sep 26 2000 - 22:28:06 PDT

Robert Thau wonders:
> [quoting Adam Engst]
> > We had an open source license ready, but some private feedback
> > convinced us that it would just be stupid to release something
> > without significant feedback and input from the open source
> > community. So we explicitly punted on that entire issue, and I
> > pored over the various legal documents to try and make sure that
> > none of them required anything in particular of the open source
> > license. I don't think they do, and the lawyers we had working on
> > it agree, but I'm certainly not an open source expert.
>
> Well, you may be trying to do the right thing here, but I'm not sure I
> understand how you're trying to do it. If you want feedback and input
> from the open source community, why not post your draft (labelled as
> such)? If you've set up a mailing list, the text must be available...

Perhaps it's better if we don't subject them to the slings and arrows
of outrageous Slashdotters until they have gotten to the point of
minimally complying with the OSD. I suspect they will, because they
certainly seem to be acting in good faith, and exposing them to the
ridicule of thousands of testy teenagers ready to see lies and betrayal
everywhere would be more likely to make them want to abandon the whole
idea of open source.

It may be too late for that now that the license has been discussed
here, but I hope not.

Perilous to all of us are the devices of an art deeper than we ourselves
possess.
                -- Gandalf the Grey [J.R.R. Tolkien, "Lord of the Rings"]