Be your own personal FBI

From: Tom Whore (tomwhore@inetarena.com)
Date: Wed Sep 20 2000 - 08:47:39 PDT

http://www.networkice.com/altivore/default.htm

Network ICE is posting a feature-complete version of Carnivore to this
site. We are doing this because: alternative for ISPs We are giving ISPs
responding to court orders free license to use Altivore. This means that
if the FBI comes in with a search warrant for the e-mail or full traffic
of one of their customers, the ISP may be able to satisfy the warrant by
using Altivore rather than having to install one of the FBI's secretive
"black-boxes". Network ICE can do nothing to stop legitimate court orders;
we can at least reduce the intrusiveness of this legal process. narrow the
debate Network ICE feels the privacy debate is extremely important.
Carnivore itself isn't important -- the fact that we allow the government
heavy-handed access to our private data is the real issue. Recently, a
spokesman for a prominent privacy group made the erroneous claim that
Carnivore could not selectively capture a single person's e-mail and
ignore all others. With Altivore, we've clearly shown (in source-code
form) exactly how this is done. Misunderstanding of the technical issues
only dilutes the debate over the privacy issue. clarifies Network ICE's
technological advantage Network ICE makes the most popular and most
sophisticated network monitoring software on the Internet. While our
software is designed to track cr/hacker activity rather than act as a
legal wiretap, the technology is similar to Carnivore. We believe that
Carnivore has made the same technology shortcuts as our competitors in the
area of reassembly, protocol analysis, and dropped packets. The Altivore
source code highlights these deficiencies of these shortcuts. altivore.c
This software contains the basic Carnivore feature set outlined in the
FBI's solicitation for independent review of Carnivore. The basic
capabilities are: monitors suspect's e-mail (either headers or full
content) monitors suspect's accesses to certain types of servers (FTP,
HTTP, etc.) full "sniffing" of suspect's IP address discovery of suspect's
current IP address through RADIUS logon This software is provided in
source form only (at this time) and still requires extensive debugging. It
is only for programmers. Instructions for compiling are provided within
the source. We are encouraging developers to add features to Altivore,
such as packet reassembly and any new features announced for Carnivore.
Altivore is definately not a supported product.