Re: Baby-making (was Glowing Mr Green Genes)

From: Strata Rose Chalup (strata@virtual.net)
Date: Tue Sep 19 2000 - 15:08:14 PDT

Very strange, but very interesting! If the "average average" (so to
speak) is 106b/100g, then the carnivorous moms' average should be skewed
to compensate for the vegetarian moms' numbers.

This suggests to me that perhaps a factor outside the study may be at
work. Did they profile both parents? Men and women absorb nutrients
slightly differently from the same foods, AFAIK. If vegetarian women
were more likely to have vegetarian men father their children, there may
be differences in gamete mobility that would help to explain the gender
ratios.

I'd want to see stats for the whole state table and then draw
conclusions--
        non-veg M, non-veg F
        veg M, veg F
        non-veg M, veg F
        veg M, non-veg F

Cheers,
_Strata

Linda wrote:

> Tom Whore wrote:
> >
> > [hmmm this brings a whole new set of possibilitys in the baby making
> > process]
>
> Tom, this is a bit off-topic but you might be interested.
>
> I just read an article in The Medical Post (September 5th) which
> suggests that vegetarian mothers are more likely to give birth to
> female infants. The research is from the University of Nottingham,
> England, involving a prospective study of 6,000 pregnant women. One
> in 20 of the women was vegetarian.
>
> Excerpt from this article (not available online):
>
> "The national ratio of boys to girls at birth in the U.K. is a
> consistent average of 106 boys to every 100 girls, which was the
> same ratio they found for meat-eating mothers. For vegetarians,
> they found that they gave birth to 85 boys to every 100 girls.
> Puzzled, they decided to double-check their research. They added
> another six months of data, and found the results were statistically
> significant.
>
> According to the researchers, the only other nutritional study
> showing that diet produces an effect on gender found that high
> magnesium, potassium and calcium levels will produce more boys.
> The Nottingham researchers say they could find no evidence that
> the vegetarian mothers were deficient or had different levels
> from the meat-eating mothers."
>
> Linda

Strata Rose Chalup [strata@knownow.com]   |  strata@virtual.net, KF6NBZ
Director of Network Operations            |       VirtualNet Consulting
KnowNow, Inc [http://www.knownow.com]     |      http://www.virtual.net/