Re: More math and open source

From: Dave Winer (dave@userland.com)
Date: Mon Sep 18 2000 - 14:35:57 PDT

Maybe we can stop and think a bit and figure out how to be inclusive instead
of exclusive.

All the religious hype about open source really hurt commercial developers
and their users.

Do you understand that? So if some of the pain comes back at you if we try
to regain respectability, stop and think about how it feels to no longer
have the moral high ground. Yes, Linux puts restrictions on what you can do
with its source. That does not seem very "open" to me. And there are still a
lot of people using and depending on software that "open" source has
discredited.

I would like to amend my definition of open source to include the previous
definition, and add another, something like this:

2. An attitude of moral superiority.

That's the part of open source that "was". That belongs in the past tense.
Goodbye.

I also said in that piece that open source is an essential part of being a
programmer. You seem to have ignored that part.

What are your goals? To keep arguing or try to understand and work with
others? If you want to keep arguing, no thanks.

Dave