RE: Group Think

From: Mark Day (markday@cisco.com)
Date: Sun Sep 17 2000 - 02:42:23 PDT

> Ya know, this was considered crazy when it was just Doug Lennat
> doing it...
>
> http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,38745,00.html

And it seems less crazy now? I guess you're right in the sense that this
stuff is so loopy that it makes Lenat's work look very sane and sober. He
knew he was pursuing a particular hypothesis that required a big investment
to test, and he took steps to make sure that he got something useful from
that investment. These projects seem more like the fantasies of 9-year-olds
mixing household products together to produce "potions": "If we just get
enough input from people around the world, we'll get AI!"

--Mark