RE: [Wash Post] The WAP backlash continues...

From: S. Mike Dierken (mike@knownow.com)
Date: Fri Sep 15 2000 - 10:50:19 PDT

I think the 'WAP backlash' is a mix of the 'WAP as network access mechanism'
as well as 'WML as display language'.

I think that XML as the base content language with templates that generate
UI/display will be more and more widespread - but that doesn't require
WAP-as-network-protocol.

Mike
PS
 I also think that XSLT is difficult for complex transformations that are
common when generating rich/complex HTML pages - a procedural language is
more suited. The XSLT that people write to do the complex transformations is
turning into procedural code - if/then/else, switch/case, sub-functions,
etc. It would make more sense just to use a scripting language for this. I
think the ASP/JSP model will continue to be popular, and will grow if
somebody adds a template engine that selects different template files based
on the device (user-agent).