FW: pause for good news

From: S. Mike Dierken (mike@knownow.com)
Date: Wed Sep 13 2000 - 15:29:23 PDT

(Some light humor, forwards exorcised)

Dear Dr. Laura,

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's law. I have
learned a great deal from you, and I try to share that knowledge with as
many people as I can. When someone tries to defend homosexuality, for
example, I will simply remind him or her that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states
it to be an abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other laws in
Leviticus and Exodus and how to best follow them. To wit:

1. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a
pleasing odor for the Lord (Leviticus 1:9). The problem is my neighbors.
They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. How should I deal with this?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as stated in Exodus 21:7.
In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her
period of menstrual uncleanliness (Leviticus 15:19-24). The problem is, how
can I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may buy slaves from the nations that are
around us. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Canadians, but not
Mexicans. Can you clarify?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2
clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him
myself?

6. A friend of mine says that even though eating shellfish is an abomination
(Leviticus 10:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't
agree. Can you settle this?

7. Leviticus 20:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have
a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my
vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can
help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Sincerely,
A devoted listener