Re: Jeff Bone on IRC:

From: Tom Whore (tomwhore@inetarena.com)
Date: Wed Sep 13 2000 - 09:02:07 PDT

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Jeff Bone wrote:
--]Tom Whore wrote:
?--]
--]> IRC used to be a great place to have real time discours, pic up chix, and
--]> trade in the knowing. As with all things time has lowered the
--]> expectations.
--]
--]Before doing the buddy list thang, I was always a MUD guy. Tiny* rocked. I kind of lost interest in
--]MUDs per se when they eventually morphed from interesting virtual places into overly complex
--]underrealized chatrooms. (This happened around 1991.) Seems to me that IRC has always been kinda the
--]worst of both worlds: cryptic but powerful interface and room (well, channel) metaphor ala MUDs, but
--]without everything else aka the good stuff; way more nav / management overhead than buddy lists. But
--]damn, everybody uses irc.
--]

I didi muds back in the early 90s as well. I liked them well enough but
kept turning wizard and not having time to talk. IRC was jsut pure talk..
well ok maybe not pure, there was the great bot wars of 93 and then the
Halloween Trick Or Treat clebration of the same year that still goes on
today.

IRC was, at its best, a pure shot of peoples words real time. At tis worst
it was a pure shot of peoples words real time. The differnce is
staggering.

    [---===tomwhore@ []wsmf.org []inetarena.com []slack.net===---]
                   WSMF's web site ----http://wsmf.org