Re: The P in P2P

From: Strata Rose Chalup (strata@virtual.net)
Date: Wed Sep 13 2000 - 00:16:08 PDT

Dave--

That's very cool, and I very much appreciate it, but I would feel like I
was taking advantage of you. My hubby and I could afford a Windows box,
but we're saving for our first house. It's pretty unfair to ask you to
prioritize something with your money that I'm not willing to prioritize
with mine! I should be careful what outrageous requests I make on this
list. :-)

I'll see if I can revive this endlessly lame "remanufactured" (f*d up
right from the vendor) ThinkPad 770 enough to get the PCMCIA drivers
working and get it on the net via some method other than Ricochet. Then
I can play too.

I'd do a complete reinstall on the thing if I knew how to do it without
toasting all my apps and having to reinstall them! Some of them I
bought online and installed, without saving the original install.zips
(steempy! you eediot!) so I'm not sure how to separate the app wheat
from the OS chaff.

Any FoRKers in the Seattle metro area who have something less lame than
a Zip drive and wouldn't mind helping rebrain an ancient wheezing 233Mhz
laptop (half-smiley, it seems fast to me!), I'll buy the beer and pizza
and the blank tapes for the CYA backup. Backing up several gig onto Zip
drive via their backup tools has been an unfulfilling experience, which,
when completed, doesn't leave me with real faith that I could get
anything other than misc data files back, and that painfully...

Cheers,
_Strata