Re: On to kids....

From: Lorin Rivers (lrivers@realsoftware.com)
Date: Tue Sep 12 2000 - 22:39:49 PDT

At 9:37 PM -0500 9/12/2000, Jeff Bone wrote:
>cdale@silly.techmonkeys.net wrote:
>
>> Heyyyyyyyyyy, my teenager bathes herself! (:
>
>Okay, I guess some clarity is in order. The part that *really*
>terrifies me (and my other
>single friends sitting in their thirties, looking around at our
>used-to-be-homies who are new
>parents, who I've had this conversation with) is this:
>
>Ages 0-x, where x is never less than 5.
>
>Diapers. Late night feeding. Being vomited on. Toys everywhere.
>Babyproofing your house.
>Station wagons. Play pens. Bed wetting. Irrational crying. "I
>WANT THAT NOW!!!" Earaches.
>Allergy shots. Boo-hoo boobums from tricycle accidents. All those
>damned awful crayon
>drawings. Crayon on the wall. Etc. etc. etc.

Called "Being a parent".

Kids first laughter -- causes tears
Kids first steps -- causes tears
Kids first words -- causes tears
Kids first words read -- yadda yadda

>If I can have a *conversation* with the kid, okay, I can deal.
>
>Again, give me the tech to "decant" them ready-to-go at some age >
>5, preferably => 7, ideally
>let's say 8 or greater.

Ever had contact with a kids who hadn't been raised? I know a kid who
was raised in a Chinese orphanage, with almost no human contact
before age 3. She's barely human.

Called "Being an uncle"

>That early stuff just looks like a total losing proposition.
>
>And they should all come with a nanny, a surrogate parent type who
>can take over for you for
>brief periods of time, at any point until the kids move out of the house.

It's a whole package dude. I wouldn't trade diapers and boo-boos for anything.

--

Lorin Rivers 512.263.1233 x712 v Product Manager 512.263.1441 f REAL Software, Inc. mailto:lrivers@realsoftware.com PMB 220 http://www.realsoftware.com 3300 Bee Caves Road, Suite 650 Austin, Texas 78746 REALbasic: the visual, object-oriented BASIC development environment for the Macintosh