Re: most popular newsgroups ?

Koen Holtman (kholtman@mail.cern.ch)
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 10:50:54 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Udhay Shankar N wrote:

> Anybody know if there's some kind of study been done on what the most
> popular usenet newsgroups are ? Ronda Hauben apparently doesn't have that
> focus, and a frustrating hour with various search engines hasn't yielded
> much...

Some (>5?) years ago I used to see monthly compliled statistics of
newsgroups by people subscribed. These were generated by having lots of
UNIX systems run statistics on people's .newsrc files and combining them
all.

I guess this effort died, I can't find any recent trace of this stuff
anymore.

I found a link with the old stuff though:
http://www.tlsoft.com/arbitron/

> Udhay

Koen.