Re: Moskowitz on MARCA from 1995

Eugene Leitl (eugene.leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de)
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 16:18:05 -0800 (PST)

Joe Touch writes:

> Supercomputer jocks want it - it reduces the thrashing between
> send and receive processing, and reduces the ACK processing overheads

Supercomputer jocks want primarily userland libraries like M-VIA and
GAMMA, which can run rings around any TCP/IP cruft both latency and
bandwidth-wise:

http://www.disi.unige.it/project/gamma/
http://www.nersc.gov/research/FTG/via/

The whole idea of using long-haul protocols for ultrashort distance,
essentially lossless networks sucks equine priapic instruments.