Re: What the heck does Transmeta do???

Kragen Sitaker (kragen@pobox.com)
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 17:00:14 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 22 Dec 1998, Joseph S. Barrera III wrote:
> I also stared and stared at this paragraph. My only guess is that it's a
> reference to plug-and-play support in NT5? Plug-and-play does change the
> structure of your OS quite a bit. What's the Linux plug-and-play story? If
> you pop a second PCMCIA network card into your Linux laptop, does Linux pick
> it up?

I don't know much about Plug-and-play(tm) or PCMCIA (which is
different!), but I do know that Linux is pretty plug-and-play (no TM)
when it comes to autodetecting hardware. IMHO, it's considerably
better at it than NT or Win95 -- but I haven't dealt with a lot of
weird hardware.

Try www.linuxhq.com and look for the plug-and-play HOWTO and the PCMCIA
HOWTO. I think they both exist.

> Are you then able to do an accept() of a connection coming in from
> either network card? etc.

Once a network card is configured (which can indeed be done after you
boot) you can accept() connections coming in on it.

TurboLinux is outselling NT in Japan's retail software market 10 to 1,
so I hear.
-- http://www.performancecomputing.com/opinions/unixriot/981218.shtml