Re: ml.org gone for good

Tim Byars (tbyars@earthlink.net)
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 19:21:09 -0800

On 12/18/98 at 9:01 PM -0600, C. Dale let the world know this:

> Speakin of things being gone, if anyone's interested, check out
> www.ml.org/news.html
>
> I'm sad as hell to see this. It was a great project, and I can't believe
> they are actually giving up? I'm going to do some more research and mail
> them myself with such harrassment as:
>
> "I DON'T GUESS YOU GUYS RUN LINUX, HUH? LINUX GEEKS WOULD NEVER JUST GIVE
> -UP- ON SUCH A HUGE SUCCESSFUL PROJECT THAT TAUGHT SO MANY ABOUT DNS AND
> WAS JUST A COOL LINUX/HIPPIE THING TO DO!"

Before I say anything else, I want to thank all the users involved with
Monolith during its existance. Support and enthusiasm has made the project
an enjoyable and worthwhile experience for everyone. Whether it be the
crowd on the SYStalk mailing list, the tremendous turn out of the Monolith
RC5 project, the overwhelming response to porting and creating DYNDNS
clients for tons of platforms and tastes - the users have always been great.

This decision has been made and approved by a majority of the board -- and
with the recent tremendous server failure it seems even more appropiate.
Pair networks has been more than accomodating to us but there is a limit to
everyone's patience with a server that simply refuses to work -- quite
simply, the hardware can not handle the load.

Effective immediately, the project is over; however we do not want to and
will not leave our most valued users, our donators, in jeopardy. While
donations have always been just that -- a donation with no guarantee of
service, those who have donated for a BASE.ORG name will continue to see
service till their donation period ends -- your monetary support has been
crucial so far. In addition, with the reduced workload to support our past
donators only, we expect much less downtime.

(A spell checker would have been nice)

Anyway, my question is this. I can get a P-II 450 MHZ for around a Grand.
Throw in another 128 megs of SDRAM for what? $200? Figure $3600 for three
boxes.

So 3 P-II 450 MHZ boxes running Linux or BSD should be able to handle what?
500K hits a day? How can so many people be blaming so much on server
failure? I keep seeing this all of a sudden and I am having trouble
believing it's "server failure."

Tim

--

Happy Holidays! And the best of New Years...

<> tbyars@earthlink.net <>