Re: The Genie is Out of the Bottle

WILKINS@hws.edu
Thu, 28 May 1998 13:11:12 -0500 (EST)

I believe that Ernie meant to FoRK this, but I seem to be the only one to have
recieved it.

Can someone summarize for the group, as per Ernie's request below? If not,
I shall do some research and FoRK it later on... I am not an expert on nuclear
arms and can't give a complete answer to this off the top of my head.

Oh, and Tim: I am aware that Israel has had "the bomb" for some time now, but
they have never tested... they are not one of the big "5" even though it is
common knowledge that they have the technology. So, as per your advise to me
in an e-mail dated April 8th/98 in which you gave me pointers on how to handle
myself on FoRK when I get flamed or otherwise insulted, I say:

"Tim, you're a piece of trash! And if you bother me again I'll kick your ass,
and there ain't a damn thing you can do about it! And that's the
bottom line because I said so"

Janie 3:16

********************Forwarded Message******************************
From: IN%"ernest@alumni.caltech.edu" 28-MAY-1998 11:45:01.28
To: IN%"WILKINS@hws.edu"
CC:
Subj: RE: The Genie is Out of the Bottle

You wrote:
> Shall we start a FoRK pool on which country will be next? My bets go
> with Israel or South Africa.

Can someone summarize which countries have already demonstrated a =
nuclear device? Also, would we count any of the sub-countries of the =
former USSR?

Israel and SA are pretty good bets. I'm trying to think if anyone
else in the Middle East has the technology to build one of their own
(as opposed to just buying it from ex-Soviet stockpiles). I don't
think anyone in the Far East does (China already has, right?).

> I believe that Israel is further along than
> South Africa ... so, I say Israel within 2-3 weeks. Any other
> predictions for the pool? The prize for winning? I will buy the
> winner a
> beer if they are willing to travel to Geneva, NY to collect the prize
> I know I am safe that no one will take me up on this offer, so
> perhaps I should raise the stakes and say dinner at Geneva's
> finest restaurant ;-)
> (i.e. A run-down greasy spoon diner...that's about all this town has
> to offer)

Beware. Rohit has traveled further on far less rationale...

- Ernie P.=