Re: PC WEEK: The case against Linux?

Robert Harley (Robert.Harley@inria.fr)
Wed, 27 May 1998 14:21:28 +0200 (MET DST)

I wrote:
>>For example, both Corel and Interbase said they'd support Red Hat
>>Linux. Does this leave Caldera in the dust? [etc.]
>
>[...] They are releasing their source code under GPL so anyone can
>compile for x86, PPC, Sparc... [...]

Clarification required. At the URL:

>Corel, for example, recently announced it would support Linux with new
>versions of WordPerfect.

This guy apparently doesn't distinguish between supporting an OS and
selling apps for it. Corel will do the former with GPL-ed software
for it's Netwinder hardware but I doubt that they will give away
Wordperfect any time soon!

The Wordperfect port to UNIX/Linux was done by a seperate company
(http://www.sdcorp.com/). They offer an evaluation copy for x86 Linux
(OpenLinux, Red Hat, Slackware, Suse, Debian, Caldera... distributions).
The product manager has said that they would do versions for "Alpha,
PPC and others" if enough people expressed interest.

BTW: you can download a trial version from:
ftp://ftp.turbolinux.com/pub/linux/corelwp

Rob.