Re: Computer Style Guides

I Find Karma (adam@cs.caltech.edu)
Mon, 11 May 1998 12:26:43 -0700

Joebar wrote:
> At any rate, I found two books that looked more promising by searching in
> Amazon:
> 1. Read Me First! : A Style Guide for the Computer Industry
> <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0134553470/forkrecommendedrA/>
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0134553470/forkrecommendedrA/
> 2. The Microsoft Manual of Style for Technical Publications
> <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=1556159390/forkrecommendedrA/>
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=1556159390/forkrecommendedrA/

Cool, I may have to order these.

> The first book is, I believe, the Sun book we saw in Printer's Inc. The
> second is Microsoft's book. Has anyone worked with either of these books?

Not me, but I'm willing.

> Are there good alternatives I missed? Obviously, right now I'm learning
> towards the Microsoft book, although I guess I could always buy both.

I haven't found any alternatives. Which is why...

> But back to beating up on Adam. Why did you pick the Wired Style book? I
> mean, Wired is a greatly amusing magazine -- I even subscribe to it -- but
> its style is as self-dating as pink-and-black tiled bathrooms or poodle
> skirts or all-white disco outfits or...

I agree that it sucks as a style guide, in the same sense that Wired as
a magazine sometimes sucks. It's the only 1990s-aware (that is,
technology-aware) style guide I knew of up to this point. Maybe Hakon
or Megan or Ari or Kristin or duck knows of a better one?

Better yet, maybe if I apologize to Ann she'll recommend one. Ann, I
completely apologize for blowing everything out of proportion and it was
100% my fault. Please talk to me again? Are there any decent style
guides for technical writing you can recommend?

One great grammar guide I like is Lyn Dupre's _Bugs in Writing_

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0201600196/forkrecommendedrA/

but that is less of a style formatting guide than it is a grammar guide.

----
adam@cs.caltech.edu

Happy: I'm stupid, you're smart. I was wrong, you were right. You're
the best, I'm the worst. You're very good looking, I'm not very attractive.
Chubbs: All right. As long as you're willing to admit that now.
-- Happy Gilmore