FW: [VOID] Shanked in the Conservahood plus Kurosawa's dream.

Lisa Dusseault (lisadu@exchange.microsoft.com)
Fri, 8 May 1998 14:03:10 -0700

Adam says this wasn't forked, so I'm forking it. Curious to hear if
other people have found their personality ratings useful or even
close to accurate.

Adam also pointed out that I do compromise, and that my description
of my relationship is actually pretty close to what he was describing,
except he put more emphasis on the compromise part of it. It's true.

lisa

-----Original Message-----
From: Lisa Dusseault (Exchange)
Sent: Friday, May 08, 1998 10:21 AM
To: 'I Find Karma'
Subject: RE: [VOID] Shanked in the Conservahood plus Kurosawa's dream.

Adam, I think you may be absolutely right -- for your relationship.
Don't forget that every combination of two people is different.
I've found that a comfortable kind of relationship for me to be
in is one of moderated selfishness. If I want something, I ask
for it. If he wants something, he asks for it. If we want something
different, we negotiate.

That's of course a total oversimplification, but nonetheless an
illustration of another kind of working relationship besides the
one where you subsume all desires in favour of making the other
person happy. In fact, it drives me nuts when somebody tries to
do that to me. I hate it when my questions are turned around:

"What do you want to do tonight?"
"I don't know dear, what do YOU want to do?"

I wouldn't ask if I didn't want information. If I knew what
I wanted to do, I'd say it: e.g. "Let's rent 'Priscilla, Queen
of the Desert' tonight".

I'm usually an eNTj when I take meyers-briggs type personality
tests (tho sometimes I'm eSTj). As a warning: "When challenged,
the ENTJ may by reflex become argumentative." (this is
certainly true lately!)

http://www.keirsey.com/
http://www.rowan.edu/~cusumano/MBPerson.html

And my SO seems to be iNTp. What does that mean? I don't know,
I just have a feeling that the "right" relationship for two
people depends on what personality types they are, what
"scripts" they've learned from their upbringing, and what
compromises they're willing to make. The keirsey site has a
fun list of fictional relationships classified according to
the personality types of both individuals. Unfortunately, the
closest I can come to modelling my relationship with Eric is
me as Edward Rochester and Eric as Jane Eyre. Yikes!!!

If you haven't read Jane Eyre, it's ... ummm... unique. It's
hard to see what sweet little Jane would ever see in a monster
like Edward. There are so many tragedies the "united at last"
ending seems wrong, wrong wrong. Nonetheless the relationship
makes sense in a very twisted way, and the book is gripping
while you read it and leaves you thinking long afterward, so
I guess I would call it a great book.

If you consider that a recommendation, here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0553211404/o/forkrecommendedrA

Oh, and by the way I just bought "The Ultimate Resource (2)"
through FoRK recommendation of course. I also have a link to
much of the material on this book, online:

http://www.inform.umd.edu/EdRes/Colleges/BMGT/.Faculty/JSimon/Ultimate_Resou
rce/

I look forward to heated arguments with my liberal and
environmentalist friends! hee hee

Lisa