Re: SIP and Apache

Ian Andrew Bell (ibell@cisco.com)
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 12:14:45 -0700

--------------E8D9F4FE3F96280B27E2898F

Ugh. What I miss the most about academia is the ability I used to have
to comment directly on my work in public forums such as this. I'll try.

Anyway, for those who actually care about my response to that question,
surf to:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/cisco/mkt/servprod/packet/frame/opt_wp.htm

And I'll clarify that: The trend in open packet telephony is towards
three separate planes of existence:

o Network Layer - Connection, Access
* Players: Cisco, 3COM, Ascend, Lucent, Ericsson, Motorola
o Call Control Layer - Messaging, Switching, Call Routing
* Players: Cisco, Netspeak, Telcordia, Vocaltec, Motorola, HP, etc.
o Application Layer - Services, Applications, Tools, Class Features
* Players: Dozens, including eFusion, InfoInterActive, Vocaltec,
Netspeak, Netcentric, OpenPort, Starvox, et al.

That's how you break up a Central Office and that's what Cisco and Open
Packet Telephony are about.

You don't have to convince us at Cisco that packet telephony networks
will be driven, outside of the world of the cable companies, almost
exclusively by applications. To allow that to happen we have chosen to
create an open market in as much as is possible today, for smart people
with good ideas to leverage our platforms, in the form of IP networks
and in the form of service creation platforms like Amteva.

In essence though, the markets right now for services like Internet Call
Waiting are small. And one or two companies will not be sufficient to
generate growth, and subsequently to service a developed market. If we
buy companies at every layer then we are becoming the beast we are
attempting to destroy. It would be like us buying up web server and
web applications companies -- imagine how slowly the web would have
grown if there were only one or two companies around to service it?

FYI, we understand the call center market now, too. We purchased a
company called GeoTel, who leads that market, for $2.2billion a couple
of months ago: http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/146/april99/12.html

-Ian.

--
--------------E8D9F4FE3F96280B27E2898F

begin:vcard n:Bell;Ian tel;pager:(800) 365-4578 tel;cell:(408) 921-4873 tel;fax:(781) 685-5915 tel;home:(408) 564-2523 tel;work:(408) 525-8630 x-mozilla-html:FALSE url:http://www.cisco.com org:Cisco Systems - Service Provider LOB;Telephony Internet Services Unit version:2.1 email;internet:ibell@cisco.com title:Solutions Manager adr;quoted-printable:version:2.1;;Building SJ-6/4=0D=0A375 East Tasman Drive ;San Jose;CA;95134;USA note;quoted-printable:AOL Instant Messenger ID: ibell SJ=0D=0A=0D=0A x-mozilla-cpt:;-20048 fn:Ian Andrew Bell end:vcard

--------------E8D9F4FE3F96280B27E2898F--