Re: Am I becoming a language zealot?

From: Kragen Sitaker (kragen@pobox.com)
Date: Sun Mar 12 2000 - 15:51:24 PST

JoeBar (should I stop calling him that now that he's left Microsoft?) writes:
> I've NEVER seen an environment where using threads
> willy-nilly was a good idea.

Well, from reading about VolanoMark, I seem to remember that Java
doesn't have non-blocking I/O operations, which means you need one
or two threads per network connection. If that's true, then in Java,
in some cases, using threads willy-nilly isn't just a good idea ---
it's the law!

See also the Tera MTA. There's an explanation at
http://www.tera.com/tech/teramta.html; unfortunately, it sucks
royally. More detailed papers might be available at
http://www.tera.com/tech/historical/index.html.

The Internet stock bubble didn't burst on 1999-11-08.  Hurrah!
The power didn't go out on 2000-01-01 either.  :)