Re: Am I becoming a language zealot?

From: Stephen D. Williams (sdw@insta.com)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 09:30:49 PST

Kragen Sitaker wrote:

> JoeBar (should I stop calling him that now that he's left Microsoft?) writes:
> > I've NEVER seen an environment where using threads
> > willy-nilly was a good idea.
>
> Well, from reading about VolanoMark, I seem to remember that Java
> doesn't have non-blocking I/O operations, which means you need one
> or two threads per network connection. If that's true, then in Java,
> in some cases, using threads willy-nilly isn't just a good idea ---
> it's the law!

This was a really stupid decision in the design of Java and its I/O semantics.

There are also ways to get around it, as I'm implementing.

The other performance evils for both C++ and Java are marshalling/unmarshalling
and object creation/copying and the associated memory allocation and collection.

sdw

--
Insta.com - Revolutionary E-Business Communication
sdw@insta.com Stephen D. Williams  Senior Consultant/Architect   http://sdw.st