An Open Letter From Jeff Bezos on Patents

From: Adam Rifkin -4K (adam@XeNT.ics.uci.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 10 2000 - 02:02:52 PST

Gotta hand it to Jeff Bezos, he sure knows how to talk the talk...

  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/subst/misc/patents.html/102-7460898-3016060

Darn if he doesn't sound like Jerry Maguire at the beginning of the
movie when he's losing it:
> Bottom line: fewer patents, of higher average quality, with shorter
> lifetimes. Fewer, better, shorter. A short name might be "fast patents."

Here's the whole letter...

> [...]
> years.
>
> 3. That when the law changes, this new lifespan should take effect
> retroactively so that we don't have to wait 17 years for the current
> patents to enter the public domain.
>
> 4. That for business method and software patents there be a short (maybe
> 1 month?) public comment period before the patent number is issued. This
> would give the Internet community the opportunity to provide prior art
> references to the patent examiners at a time when it could really help.
> (Thanks to my friend Brewster Kahle for this suggestion.)
>
> To this end, I've already contacted the offices of several Members of
> Congress from the committees with primary responsibility for patents to
> ask if they would be willing to meet with me on this issue. Since some
> of them have previously expressed an interest in similar issues, I have
> every expectation that at least some of them will want to talk about it.
> I've also invited Tim O'Reilly to attend any such meetings with me. Tim
> and I are also going to try to pull together some software industry
> leaders and other people with an interest in this issue and an ability
> to help.
>
> If done right -- and it could take 2 years or more -- we'll end up with
> a patent system that produces fewer patents (fewer people will bother to
> apply for 3 or 5 year patents, and fewer patents means less work for the
> overworked Patent and Trademark Office), fewer bad patents (because of
> the pre-issuance comment period), and even the good patents won't last
> longer than is necessary to give the innovator a reasonable return (at
> Internet speed, you don't need 17 years).
>
> Bottom line: fewer patents, of higher average quality, with shorter
> lifetimes. Fewer, better, shorter. A short name might be "fast patents."
>
> Many have noted, and I too would like to point out, that given the laws
> they operate under and the resources at their disposal, the Patent
> Office and examiners are doing a good job and it's unfair to criticize
> them.
>
> On a related issue, to further try to help with the prior art problem,
> I've also agreed to help fund a prior art database. This was Tim's idea,
> and I'm grateful for it. Tim is poking around to find the right people
> to run with that project.
>
> On an important meta-level, one thing to note is that this episode is a
> fascinating example of the new world, where companies can have
> conversations with their customers, and customers can have conversations
> with their companies. I've been saying for 4 years now that, online, the
> balance of power shifts away from the merchant and toward the customer.
> This is a good thing. If you haven't already, read the cluetrain
> manifesto. If you want the book, well...you can get it at several places
> online...
>
> Jeff
>
> Tell us what you think. How would you like to re-invent the patent

----
Adam@4K-Associates.com

There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. -- The Matrix