Re: An Open Letter From Jeff Bezos on Patents

From: Adam L. Beberg (beberg@mithral.com)
Date: Fri Mar 10 2000 - 13:47:21 PST

On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, Adam Rifkin -4K wrote:

> > On a related issue, to further try to help with the prior art problem,
> > I've also agreed to help fund a prior art database. This was Tim's idea,
> > and I'm grateful for it. Tim is poking around to find the right people
> > to run with that project.

Such a thing already exists at least for software patents, it's the ACM
Digital Library. - http://www.acm.org/dl/

It's by far the most extensive and complete source of information on
computer sciences in existance. Maybe, just maybe, 1 in 1,000 patent
applications would make it through this prior art database.

If Jeff Bezos and Tim O'Reilly are really serious about this idea, I
would hope they would consider funding the ACM Digital Library project
in some significant manner while keeping a hands off approach.

Hopefully some FoRK member has the connections to forward this in a
manner Jeff and Tim will read it.

- Adam L. Beberg
  The Cosm Project - http://cosm.mithral.com/
  beberg@mithral.com - http://www.iit.edu/~beberg/