Re: [WSJ] Venture Capital Loves P2P...

From: Adam L. Beberg (beberg@mithral.com)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 04:35:56 PDT

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Adam Rifkin -4K wrote:

> Let's see who gets a mention in the article: InfraSearch (which in the
> two weeks since this article has changed its name to GoneSilent as Mark
> Kuharich noted), Kalepa... and hey, there's Centrata again and now they
> have KP behind 'em. Can I call them "Firedrop II"? :) And somehow KP
> investment Google managed to sneak their way into this story even though
> they're not a P2P company at all.
>
> No mention of AppleSoup or Popular Power. Maybe they'll make the
> follow-up article...

Well, it's been in the WSJ, usually that indicates a business fad is
officially about to die or be exposed. Much like being in Wired means a
tech fad is about to die.

I _love_ the new Centrata site, a bunch of 404's, and apparently no
information other then how well known their investors are. Another sign.
Oh, and this - "The worlds first WebOS." - They apparently refuse to use
such archaic systems like Yahoo to find "WebOS began at the University
of California, Berkeley in 1996". Then again, Centrata is riding the
"wave" way harder then anyone else, so they need to BS way more to
maintain the scam under so much scrutiny.

Every time I think the tech industry has gotten far too stupid even for
the VC's, I am corrected.

> > While they had little in the way of a
> > formal business plan, the two men have raised nearly $2 million by
> > capitalizing on investor interest in what seems like the next big
> > thing.

Another sign the fad is about to explode into dust. If I hide my plans
behind my back and say "look ma, no plans" can I have some money too?
Maybe if I promise to waste it as fast as possible?

Wheee...

There is no money in P2P, never was, never will be. I really gotta
finish my whitepaper ... *sigh* Did I miss the day in CS101 when they
told people never to read any history? Oops.

- Adam L. Beberg
  Mithral Communications & Design, Inc.
  The Cosm Project - http://cosm.mithral.com/
  beberg@mithral.com - http://www.iit.edu/~beberg/