[WSJ] Venture Capital Loves P2P...

From: Adam Rifkin -4K (adam@XeNT.ics.uci.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 16:41:40 PDT

This statement sounds like something Rohit would say...

| "There are about 100 uses for peer-to-peer," says Graham Spencer, a
| former official of Excite At Home Inc., and an InfraSearch investor.
| "So far, we've thought of maybe two of them."

Anyone have any ideas for the other 98? Looks like we still have a few
weeks' window to jump on this train... but I'm not sure I'd go so far
as to call this a once-in-a-decade phenomenon...

| Boosters -- including Marc Andreessen, co-founder of Netscape
| Communications Corp. -- say the technology is one of those
| once-in-a-decade ideas that will change the face of computing.

Methinks MarcA is being a tad melodramatic... can you imagine having a
hundred different Napster-like applications running on your desktop at
the same time? Me neither. Napster alone is clogging up my pipes, and
[Napster+ICQ+Browser] is slurping up all my free available attention.

Let's see who gets a mention in the article: InfraSearch (which in the
two weeks since this article has changed its name to GoneSilent as Mark
Kuharich noted), Kalepa... and hey, there's Centrata again and now they
have KP behind 'em. Can I call them "Firedrop II"? :) And somehow KP
investment Google managed to sneak their way into this story even though
they're not a P2P company at all.

No mention of AppleSoup or Popular Power. Maybe they'll make the
follow-up article...

----
Adam@4K-Associates.Com

eNow: A million minds a minute. -- http://www.enow.com/