Re: UCI: research magnet or blackhole?

From: Ka-Ping Yee (pingster@ilm.com)
Date: Sun Jul 02 2000 - 13:02:46 PDT

On Fri, 30 Jun 2000, Meltsner, Kenneth wrote:
> Okay, why does everything I'm interested in seem to end up at UC Irvine? I
> mention Placeless Documents and it turns out that Dourish is joining the UCI
> faculty. Now, I go to look at the InfoLab pages (at Northwestern) and the
> FAQFinder has migrated west as well.

I don't get it. What's the big deal about FAQFinder?

I tried some sample questions:

    "How often do solar eclipses occur?"
        - Solaris2_FAQ
        - open-look_02-deskset
        - comp-sys-sun-faq
        - open-look_01-general
        - inn-faq

        0 for 5.

    "How much data does a DVD-ROM hold?"
        - meteorology_cdroms
        - microcontroller-faq_COP8
        - commodore_8bit-emulation-faq
        - modems_ZyXEL_FAQ
        - sci_Satellite-Imagery-FAQ

        0 for 5.

    "Where can i get a computer power supply?"
        - autos_audio
        - car-audio
        - games_cosmic-encounter-faq
        - medicine_powerlines-cancer-faq
        - model-rockets_BAR

        0 for 5.

    "Is OpenBSD more secure than Linux?"
        - linux_meta-faq
        - linux_info-sheet
        - wais-faq_freeWAIS-sf
        - alt-2600_faq
        - computer-security_ssl-talk-faq

        Also 0 for 5 (the Linux stuff says nothing about security,
        and the security stuff says nothing about Linux or OpenBSD).

Then i tried Google:
    frequency of solar eclipses: first link answers the question
    DVD-ROM hold data: first link answers the question
    "computer power supply": first link answers the question
    OpenBSD more secure Linux: first link answers the question

I don't understand. Eight people worked on this, the project's
been going for five years, and all it can give me is links to FAQs
that are irrelevant to my question? Am i missing something?

-- ?!ng