[MSNBC] Press releases + dot.com = 74,000% return in one year.

From: Adam Rifkin -4K (adam@XeNT.ics.uci.edu)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 02:29:32 PDT

Xcelera's stock (XLA) has bounced back some since this was written, but
it's still a fairly interesting addition to the continuing story of one
of the greatest pump-and-dumps of the bubble market of the 1990s. I
love the existence of this stock because it truly illustrates how crazy
a stock market can get. Remember that, even though it's down 66% from
the high, it's still up 25,000% from a year ago. Not too shabby.

   http://www.msnbc.com/news/399445.asp

> Vik's vapor stock
>
> How press releases and dot.com name gassed up a 74,000 percent balloon
>
> By Christopher Byron
> MSNBC CONTRIBUTOR, April 25, 2000
>
> An extraordinary company has been getting the attention of investors
> lately. The company in question -- which bears the recently acquired
> cyberspace moniker of Xcelera.com -- turns out to be headquartered not in
> Silicon Valley, or indeed anywhere else within the lawful jurisdiction
> of the United States, but in a post office box in the breeze-caressed
> offshore tax haven of the Cayman Islands.
>
> THIS IN TURN means that Xcelera.com Inc., doesn't have to file
> quarterly financial statements with the Securities and Exchange
> Commission or anyone else. And since the company doesn't have to, it
> doesn't. Instead, the company reports only once a year on its business
> and financial affairs.
>
> And since the latest such report was filed last August and covers
> the fiscal year that ended in January 1999, there are no current
> financials to explain the fact that between then and, oh, about three
> weeks ago, Xcelera's stock price soared from 30 cents per share to $223
> per share -- which is to say, rose by more than 74,000 percent in value --
> which is, I would suspect, the greatest one-year rise of any
> exchange-listed stock in the history of Wall Street.
>

> ALEXANDER VIK's MANEUVERINGS
>
> Our story on these matters begins back in the late 1980s, when a
> Greenwich, Conn., investor named Alexander Vik led the takeover of an
> obscure American Stock Exchange-listed, closed-end investment trust
> bearing the name The Scandinavia Fund. Mr. Vik moved the business into a
> privately held investment firm he ran out of Monte Carlo (Vik Brothers
> International), and from there to the Cayman Islands, where, in 1993, it
> wound up in possession of a hotel in the Canary Islands.
>
> Until dot-com mania began sweeping Wall Street five years later,
> running that hotel was about all The Scandinavia Company really did. But
> then, in June 1997, a struggling Internet outfit named Mirror Image
> Internet AB began trading on the Stockholm Stock Exchange at roughly a
> dollar per share, and not long afterward it looks to have caught the eye
> of Mr. Vik, who began acquiring stock in the company.
>
> Yet Mirror Image was no General Motors. The company had no
> material revenues, no income, and no assets except for the money that
> The Scandinavia Company had begun pumping into it. By spring 1999,
> Mirror Image's disappointed investors had knocked the shares down to
> barely 4 cents each, giving the entire company a market value of not
> much more than $700,000. Yet by this time Vik and the boys were already
> in the hole to the tune of $5.9 million for more than half the company's
> shares.
>

> LAVA FLOW OF PRESS RELEASES
>
> It was at that point that Mr. Vik and his company, apparently
> [...]

----
Adam@4K-Associates.com

Right now, betting on Napster seems like betting on casual Friday, or the tattoo - sure, it's more popular than it used to be, but where's the money in it? -- Rob Walker, May 2, 2000