Re: [MSNBC] Press releases + dot.com = 74,000% return in one year.

From: Adam Rifkin -4K (adam@XeNT.ics.uci.edu)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 20:54:39 PDT

Why do I love Xcelera.com's story so much? Jon Markman from MSN
Investor responds to Christopher Byron from MSNBC. Any bets as to when
Michael Kinsley from MSN Slate will join the fray? With all these
journalists on their side, why doesn't MS have a better rep?

   http://moneycentral.msn.com/articles/invest/models/5373.asp

> My response to Xcelera article
>
> Now a response to a column ("Vik's vapor stock") published at our sister
> publication, MSNBC, about Xcelera.com (XLA, news, msgs), one of my
> high-risk 100x10y picks. I don't mind taking potshots from other
> writers. Debate is where great ideas are tempered, broken and rebuilt.
> And I'm not a cheerleader for this company or any other. If its managers
> fail to execute on their plan, then I'll call them on it and advise
> readers to bail out. But I think this piece did a disservice to
> investors, and here's why.
>
> * The column suggests there is something nefarious about keeping a
> company domiciled offshore in a tax haven like the Cayman Islands. Not
> true. Taxes are an expense that managers must minimize. Any firm focused
> on overseas investments that can benefit from an offshore headquarters
> should do so. Three of the many large companies with headquarters
> offshore in Bermuda are Global Crossing (GBLX, news, msgs), insurance
> holding company XL Capital (XL, news, msgs) and Tyco International (TYC,
> news, msgs).
>
> * The column also suggests there is something nefarious about
> companies that don't file quarterly financial statements with the U.S.
> Securities and Exchange Commission. That would knock out virtually every
> foreign company listed on the Nasdaq and New York Stock Exchange --
> including giants like Nokia (NOK, news, msgs) and Glaxo Wellcome (GLX,
> news, msgs) -- since none of them has to file statements at the SEC,
> either. And they don't.
>
> * The column complains that Mirror Image Internet, a key
> subsidiary, was virtually bankrupt and had "no material revenues, no
> income and no assets" at the time that Xcelera.com made its initial
> round of investments. Seems to me that this is what good managers are
> supposed to do: Obtain undervalued or mismanaged assets and turn them
> around. The company had no revenues because its main attraction was
> intellectual property that had not yet been exploited. In that way it
> was little different from Wall Street darlings Akamai Technologies
> (AKAM, news, msgs) and Critical Path (CPTH, news, msgs), which nailed
> better than $5 billion market capitalizations upon going public, despite
> having less than $900,000 in trailing 12-month revenues each.
>
> * The column complains that the company had issued a flood of
> press releases to boost the stock and that only a couple of Web writers
> had bit and written about the firm. But there had actually been a long
> series of articles in trade magazines about Mirror Image through 1999.
> New York Times columnist Floyd Norris wrote about the firm the day after
> I first wrote about it last September. And Forbes columnist and futurist
> George Gilder wrote favorably about it in his popular newsletter.
> Moreover, the number of press releases was actually scant compared to
> competitors like Akamai. In January, for instance, Xcelera.com issued
> [...]

----
Adam@4K-Associates.com

If you don't buy from me, we're all going to Hell. I mean that literally. People will die this year because they didn't buy my software. -- Michael Saylor, _New Yorker_, April 3, 2000, p. 35