Re: Away WeGo. Wherefore art thou Gnutella?

From: Tom Whore (tomwhore@inetarena.com)
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 13:06:56 PDT

On Tue, 2 May 2000, Dug Song wrote:

--]On Tue, 2 May 2000, Tom Whore wrote:
--]
--]> For something that was cooked up and released in short order, that is
--]> still under dev, the damn thing works and was apodted by a user base
--]> faster than greased pigs.
--]
--]you're missing the point. it doesn't work.

Gee, so all these files im passing and getting are what, figments of my
demagination? Is it perfect? No. Is it pristine in form and function? No.
Does it move files across the ether of the net from node to node? Yep.
Is it still being worked on? Yep.

--]it, and if the security properties it purports to have aren't actually
--]there. you should see the porn filename generation algorithm i'm using for
--]gnutsmurf. :-)
--]

Let it rip, I mean it. Set it up and knock em down. Then the dev folks
will see it and work out a solution...or not. but I bet ya they will try.

--]a fervently religious belief in the healing powers of Open Source can't
--]actually fix bad engineering. and fixing bugs post-deployment can be
--]extremely troublesome, often impossible, especially when the initial
--]design is so bad as to require a complete rewrite.

This aint the old law, this is the new law. Easy? nope. This is the road
less travled down by the old brown shoes. This is jack booted pron muching
mp3 grabbing game addeled death metal thugs looking for better ways to rip
off the "establishment" and by gum they are doing it.

Bones Thugs and Source Code , each feeding off the other so that a sort of
a darwinian code evolution slouches onward.

--]
--]talk to my friend napster about that one.
--]

Central server apps dont zing me on this regard. Napster was cute for all
of 3 downloads, then kaptuy. Gnutella is gonna morph this way and that
over time. Its name will rot over time to be remebered by those that
remeber things like .arc files and the mod format. But come on, the first
real kick ass distributed networking tool, warts and all, that swept so
far so fast and is being worked on in dev is something , imnsfho, that can
be called the shiz.

    [---===tomwhore@ []wsmf.org []inetarena.com []slack.net===---]
                   WSMF's web site ----http://wsmf.org