Re: How do you teach fundamental logic to someone that doesn't grok it?

From: James Hong (jhong@xmethods.net)
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 16:10:53 PDT

when people can't understand basic concepts, it's usually because the terms in which the concepts are being presented is foreign and perhaps intimidating to them.. put it into a context that the student can understand.

For example, if teaching a 12 y.o. adolescent girl,

Given: Backstreet Boys Fan => Adolescent Girl

she'll likely realize that not all girls are backstreet boy fans. and if she concludes that, just ask her "does EVERY adolescent girl love the backstreet boys?", and she'll get it right away.

Alternatively, use pictures (circle and a subset circle)..

james