Andrew Leonard on MS reaction to OSS

From: Bill Humphries (bill@whump.com)
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 21:35:04 PDT

<x-clueless>I sent this to xent.net instead of xent.com...</x-clueless>

[ thanks Rafe ]
http://www.salon.com/tech/col/leon/2001/05/03/microsoft_gpl/index.html

Interesting points from the article include:

1) non-US entities aren't particulary interested in paying a 'MS tax'.

MS needs those markets to grow their revenue (unless Passport can ding you a few cents everytime you start Windows.)

2) non-US entities don't particulary trust non OSS code

Yes, Craig Mundie spoke of 'Shared Source,' however, the difference between that and OSS is that there are no hoops, no transaction costs for me to get a look at the source in OSS.

--
All your XML are belong to us.