Re: German armed forces ban MS software, citing NSA snooping

From: Robert Harley (Robert.Harley@inria.fr)
Date: Mon Mar 19 2001 - 05:39:20 PST

Chuck Murcko (chuck@topsail.org) wrote:
>we note that Pleuger seems to have gleaned this information from a
>presentation held earlier this month in Berlin by, er, Deutsche Telekom.
>Which just happens, along with Siemens, to have picked up the gig.

The professionally paranoid among us will have noted that Siemens is
chock full of BSI spooks, and that BSI shares intelligence with NSA
(or at least used to; maybe they've gone all European on us now).
This is not the first time that Siemens is involved in public displays
of wariness of 'merkuns. I take them with a pinch of salt, personally.

>"might as well hold our conferences directly in Langley."

I'm also wary of Siemens' "Elcrodat", a box for doing elliptic-curve
crypto over ISDN that is supposed to be used by European foreign
ministries etc. Open design specs, please? Otherwise, might as well
fax everything straight to Munich.

Just Rob.
     .-. Robert.Harley@polytechnique.org .-.
             `-' http://www.xent.com/~harley/Top.html `-'