RE: Mail lives forever (Re: Bill Joy kicks around XML for fun :-)

From: Lisa Dusseault (lisa@xythos.com)
Date: Tue Feb 27 2001 - 09:49:22 PST

> > I wouldn't bother converting messages as you'd gain nothing by it.
> I'd like to write a gateway that talks IMAP,LDAP,NNTP,etc. to send XML to
a browser (only upon
> request of course) & use XSL to do the transform.
> XML would be useful in this situation.

Been there, done that. Exchange 2000.

Exchange 2000 Web Client uses the XMLHTTP component in IE5 to compose WebDAV
PROPFIND requests to get only the data from the server (saving the
presentation/layout from being downloaded again), then formatting it with
XSL. The data can arrive at the server through a number of routes,
including IMAP, NNTP, MAPI, SMTP. LDAP is a little different.

lisa