Re: one projection about the open source market

From: Stephen D. Williams (sdw@lig.net)
Date: Mon Feb 26 2001 - 14:02:01 PST

Robert Harley wrote:

> Eirikur Hallgrimsson (eh@mad.scientist.com) wrote:
> >From the trenches: I'm working on Compaq's Tru64 Unix at the moment.
>
> Cool!
>
> >[...] It's like coming home to find that all my
> >furniture and even the carpet has been stolen. The GNU utilities are so
> >transcendently far beyond the old proprietary versions that just typing
> >simple commands is an exercise in frustration for me.
>
> Now, now, it depends which ones. Compaq's C compiler compiles fast
> code fast. It beats gcc on most things and by quite a margin on some.

Even with -pipe?

> Compaq's math libraries are so much better than the GNU ones that it's
> just not funny. S'pse I should fix that some day.
>
> Get the CD of open source/free software and install what you want. Be happy.
>
> Rob, extensive user of Linux and Tru64.

The Dec Unix server I installed as the firewall at BofA circa 1994 used
to sleep for a couple seconds occasionally for no reason. The Tru64
cluster for Netword used to stop working in the middle of the night
(several times) because the license key expired! (They had paid $250K+
for the system and Dec couldn't get them a permanent license key for
some reason.) I replaced the whole mess with a few Linux systems 4+
years ago and they never had another problem.

Compaq PC's non-standard crap drives me crazy and has for years. As
part of revamping my mother's office, we finally tracked down part of
the flakiness of the two main workstations to non-standard Compaq
ethernet cards that were screwing everything up.

I've not been impressed...

> .-. Robert.Harley@polytechnique.org .-.
> `-' http://www.xent.com/~harley/Top.html `-'

sdw