Re: Mail lives forever (Re: Bill Joy kicks around XML for fun :-)

From: Stephen D. Williams (sdw@lig.net)
Date: Mon Feb 26 2001 - 13:55:31 PST

> Mike Dierken wrote:
>
> > Okay, may I do a little poll, and ask everyone in what format they
> > keep their megabytes (or gigabytes) of mail?
> I haven't done it yet, but I'd keep it in a canonical XML format for
> SMTP messages.
> I know there aren't any mail oriented tools for this non-existent
> format, but I'd do it anyway.

The difference between RFC822 headers and a nice XML envelope format is
just a matter of syntactic sugar, although simplifying line continuation
is a nice goal.

The IETF IMPP guys convinced me that it is good to support both XML and
canonical IETF header conventions in some generic data
compression/encoding stuff I'm working on.

I wouldn't bother converting messages as you'd gain nothing by it.

> If anybody has any pointers on a good way to extract stuff from .pst
> files, let me know.

This is definitely needed.

--
sdw@lig.net                 sdw@insta.com