Re: Divorce: shared custody should be mandatory

From: Chuck Murcko (chuck@topsail.org)
Date: Fri Feb 23 2001 - 12:21:30 PST

Yeah, I think on a deeper level we do agree on a lot of this.

I feel it's just not possible to legislate maturity or responsibility, and that's what it appears we want to try to do sometimes, esp. in domestic relations area. Much more importantly, maturity and responsibility is what our children *require* from us (or at least require us to *try* to be), along with a well-developed sense of play.

One other thought on the one parent thing: how often do kids get teased badly about that by other kids? The little buggers can be nasty to each other sometimes.

I guess I'm not so typical an NCP after reading all this stuff. But then neither is anyone else here, apparently. 8^)

Chuck

> Here's a curious gray area. Should the custodial parent be able to cut a
> deal, waiving child support in return for severely curtailed or non-existent
> visiting rights?

IMO no. That cheapens the value of a kid's life even more than the existing DR laws.

We have ways not to have kids, including abortion. As a libertarian, I support women's right to choose as strongly as I support the right to bear arms. But once they're here, I think we should buck up and act in their best interests, no matter how we feel about the other parent or where that relationship ended up. Running for the hills is just cowardice to me.
Chuck Murcko
Topsail Group
http://www.topsail.org/