bla

Robert Harley (harley@cahors.inria.fr)
Thu, 8 Aug 1996 13:14:24 +0200

Joe Kiniry <kiniry@cs.caltech.edu> writes:
>1. scientists have believed for decades that the only other planet in
>our solar system that might have been capable of sustaining life as
>we know it was mars.

Actually, it is believed that one of Jupiter's moons (can't remember
which) has sub-surface liquid water, heated by the immense tidal forces,
which could sustain organic reactions...

>3. we find evidence of life on mars.
>4. that's two for two in our solar system. (probably <grin>)

You have to be careful about using the existence of life on Earth in
any statistical argument. The conditional probability that there is
life on Earth, given that us earthlings are wondering about the
frequency of life, is 1.

Rohit Khare <khare@pest.w3.org> wrote:
>I love how "America should pursue answers" to an entire species' questions...
>what a nostalgic rush!

Imagine if Armstrong had said:
One Small Step for an American, one Giant Leap for 'merkun-kind.
or:
One Small Step for an Ohioan, one Giant Leap for Ohioan-kind.
or even (Rob searches with Alta-Vista):
One Small Step for a Wapakonetan, one Giant Leap for Wapakonetan-kind.

Bah. That NASA press conference was such a fuck-up. And what the heck
does "we talked to the world space leadership" mean?

>America Online Suffers One of Worst Outages in Cyberspace History
>[...imminent death of the net...]

Wait a sec guys (and girl), this is the best thing that could happen
to the net! Now if someone can figure out how to take down Compuserve...

Grumpy? Who me?