Re: Firedrop + $90 million = ??!

From: Antoun Nabhan (antoun@arrayex.com)
Date: Wed Oct 18 2000 - 19:33:13 PDT

At 02:59 PM 10/17/00 -0500, Adam Rifkin wrote:
>Question mark. Question mark. Exclamation mark.
>
> > From: Technologic Partners <venturewire@venturewire.com>
> > Subject: VentureWire, Tuesday, October 17, 2000
>Firedrop has personal investment money from Esther Dyson, Bill Joy,
>Andy Bechtolsheim, Bill Sahlman, Art Kern, Joe Kraus, and Vinod Khosla.
>Jakob Nielsen is an advisor. They've raised nine figures to date.

Well, maybe you would have bet on Pharoah against Moses if you didn't know
that The Big Guy had his money on the Jews.

With that many well-known, well-connected, deep-pocketed, smart, and
capable people now invested in this company's success, it may just be
destined to produce something, well, lucrative if not exactly useful. As
I'm fond of telling my team, a good idea is worth, oh, about the price of
breakfast at Buck's; execution is where the money is made. Maybe the
flipside of that is that having a *bad* idea isn't necessarily an
impediment to doing something good later.

Maybe.

As for your desire for clueless VCs in your Rolodex, beware the cost to
your soul of parrying thoughtless questions from clueless people who have
money and think they have power. We took our VC money from people who
weren't giving us the highest valuation...

--A.
Antoun Nabhan * "We don't have $6 billion in cash [like Cisco].
anabhan@law.harvard.edu * We're barely eking out an existence."
617.901.8871 * - Mike Moritz, gen.ptr. at Sequoia Capital